Work easily with spreadsheets, presentations, graphics or databases
OpenOffice is an open-source office suite that includes similar programs to Microsoft Office, it being a free alternative to the well-known suite. The programs included allow you to work with text documents thanks to its word processor, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics or databases, depending on the application you are using. It has the advantage of being available in 27 languages, supporting multiple document formats, and using low system resources.
This free office suite is documented with APIs licensed under LGPL and SISSL protocols, and written in C++. It simply means that if you are an expert developer, you are able to take advantage of its source code. Despite the fact that this is all quite complicated, if you want to just use its simple functions that’s possible even if you are beginner, as it’s pretty straightforward and easy-to-use. When you download it and you start using it, you soon realize that it is really intuitive. In fact, you will find it easier if you are used to working with Microsoft’s suite.
Create any kind of document
OpenOffice satisfies every need due to all the tools it provides. You can produce any kind of document, whether it has an educational, domestic or commercial purpose. It includes six different applications that are quite similar to most every productivity suites, and allow you to work in different fields: Calc, Writer, Impress, Draw, Base and Math.
Writer is the word processor and the most-used of this free open-source suite, due to its simplicity and its similarity to Microsoft’s offering. If you want to create any kind of spreadsheet to calculate, present or analyse your data, you can do it with Calc. Impress, which is the other main program included in OpenOffice, lets you create multimedia presentations and, most outstandingly, add 2D and 3D clip art ,special effects and animation, and draw whatever you want.
If you want to create dynamic 3D illustrations and diagrams, you can do it with Draw, although it could be a bit more complicated. Base is used especially to work with databases and, finally, Math can help you to create any kind of mathematical equation. This office suite can create .pdf files and, as we mentioned above, it includes several advanced features.
It includes six different applications which allow you to work in different fields: Calc, Writer, Impress, Draw, Base and Math
You are able to download different extensions and templates from the developers’ website to take advantage of its customizable features. One of the most-used extensions is the Present Console Extension that lets you see the next slides, time left, and notes while you are doing an oral presentation. Just an incredible add-on!
OpenOffice 4.1.0 Features
OpenOffice includes the following features:
- It corrects your spelling and grammar mistakes in different languages thanks to its AutoCorrect dictionary
- If you need suggestions to complete common words and sentences you can do it with AutoComplete
- It supports PDF files
- Convert raw data easily into important information with the Advanced DataPilot
- Create your own formulas just using common words
- Work with other users at the same time with its collaborative working feature
- Enhance your images, adding transparency, lighting effects, texture, or a different perspective
- Arrange objects to work in groups of objects
- Insert clipart, or create your own clips with its improved Picture Gallery
- You have the possibility of adding extensions or templates
- Save it in different formats without any kind of incompatibility to open them with the most common programs
- It includes, apart from the word processor Writer, other programs such as Calc, Impress, Draw, Base and Math
If you want more information about OpenOffice, you can find it on the developers’ website here http://www.openoffice.org/
If you want to download OpenOffice, we recommend that you read the system requirements first:
- Operating system: Windows XP or upper
- RAM memory: 256 MB
- HDD: 650 MB
- Resolution: 1024x768 or higher